Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Weekend Playlist: Thanksgiving Edition



Weekend Playlist is a feature on xIndies where games played over the Friday/Saturday/Sunday play period. All opinions are general impressions and not official reviews. Interested in joining in some indie, xbla, retail, or Netflix fun? Send a friend request to m3talst0rm17 and mention xIndies.

With this weekend being filled with family get-togethers and shopping, I didn't get much indie game time in. However, with the sales taking place on the Live Marketplace and time spent with family, Rock Band was played extensively. I also managed to pick up a few deals that included a blu ray player and several blu rays that kept me away from my normal play time. Hit the break to see my impressions on the Indie title The Deep Cave, a few XBLA games, and Rock Band DLC.

I'll start things out with The Deep Cave. When I looked at the screenshots last week, I knew I would love the game. An eight-bit style platformer was what I had been needing after playing several RPGs and Shooters recently. After booting it up, I wasn't initially disappointed. The music was awesome and the visuals were great. Even the death's were enjoyable, pushing your total death count up and putting you right back into the action as fast as you left it.

I was disappointed with the controls. The character seemed too floaty, especially after playing games like Super Meat Boy. But, I got used to it. The part that got me was when gravity flipped. There is a section of the game that requires you to "reverse your thinking" and your character is upside down, jumping from the ceiling. I became quite frustrated over this section, dying several times before the timer on the demo ran out. I quit, figuring I wouldn't come back to the game. Discussions on twitter changed my mind and the second demo playthrough was so much better. Honestly, I would have bought the game if I would have had time this weekend. Seems like a great title.

As for the XBLA games this week, I bought Greed Corp for $2 on the Marketplace Black Friday sale. It seems like something complementary to a couple of my favorite titles, Carcassonne and Culdcept Saga. Haven't played it much, but liked the demo. I also played some Pinball FX2. Great game, good for some quick fun.

Rockband DLC was also on sale this week. I bought the Nirvana Pack 2 for $3 and the CCR pack for $5. The CCR pack was an exceptional value originally retailing at $20.  The Nirvana Pack 1 and Lady Gaga Pack were also on sale this week, but I already had those. Overall, a nice promotion on the Marketplace.

No comments:

Post a Comment