Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Uprising Begins with Epic Dungeon

Eyehook Games has released the first of the Winter Uprising Indie titles, Epic Dungeon! Immediately coming off as a fun dungeon crawler and action packed game, this was an insta-buy for me. You need to check out Epic Dungeon, not only because of the cool $1 price, but because this is a new and exciting experience for Xbox gamers. Hit the jump for a video and my early impressions.





After seeing this video last week, I was initially put off by some of the graphics, specifically the illustrations for the different classes. However, this minor annoyance did not bother me in the slightest once I downloaded the demo. A quick selection of the Berserker class and I was on my way. With the Russian Olaf from Clerks (link nsfw) singing "My love for you is ticking clock, BERSERKER" going through my mind, I smiled. And I continued to smile through the beginning of the fast paced Epic Dungeon. I honestly thought I would be bored as I apparently have never played a rouge-like before (GASP!!!). I, however, was pleasantly surprised at the lack of tedious story, the instant action, and the randomized levels instead of random battles. It was fun.

Never playing a game like this before, I was confused at first by the "run into enemy to attack" mechanic. However, this style makes it more strategic to me than a typical hack and slash button masher. Each of the classes have a special ability such as Freeze, Poison, Frenzy, and Orb that aid your hero on their quest. The cool thing that I didn't expect in this game is that you can gain points that allow you to get an ability from another class or upgrade your own ability. Between the store, the leveling up, and these ability points, Epic Dungeon is a game with many customization options.

Lastly, Epic Dungeon has fifty levels that are all randomly generated, providing a unique experience every time you play the game. The amazing thing is Eyehook Games are only asking a dollar for their game. Though I certainly haven't played this game to completion, I have no qualms about recommending this game. It is a definite must buy Indie title.

No comments:

Post a Comment