Monday, November 22, 2010

Weekend Playlist: 11/19-11/21



Weekend Playlist is a feature on xIndies where games played over the Friday/Saturday/Sunday play period. All opinions are general impressions and not official reviews. Interested in joining in some indie, xbla, retail, or Netflix fun? Send a friend request to m3talst0rm17 and mention xIndies.

Weddings. With my Aunt being married on Saturday and my brother on Sunday and both including my children as ring bearers/flower girls, I didn't have much time for gaming. As much as I wish both of the new happy couples the best, I did miss my gaming time this weekend. Hit the break to get to the "love not gaming" edition of Weekend Playlist.


XBLIG:
I had a chance to sample five indie demos and continue playing Breath of Death (I just can't get enough).

First, I tried out Commander: World One. I really liked the graphics of this tower defense and the unique gameplay mechanic of a dynamic map. I'll probablly pick up this 80 msp title to review. Seems like a good purchase.

Commander is an epic, classic and lovely tower defense where the path is dynamic: it evolves in time and you can modify it! You can also control spaceships to help you in your mission to save humanity and blow up planets when you have no other choice. What do you want more? Lasers, missiles, particle effects, nice classical music, retro sound effects, cute colorful pixels and a lot of fun.


I was really excited about Aah Impossible Rescue. I mean 8 bit graphics and cats, come on! Even the concept of the game was intriguing: It's an "Arcade Kitten Rescue Mission Simulator." However the game was really frustrating for me. You have three cats that you control with the green, yellow, and blue buttons of the controller. My mind couldn't work like they were asking me. I'm going to fire this up a couple more times before I move on and decide if this dollar title might be worth a download.

A sad kitten is a sad enough sight, but there's nothing sadder than a sad and wet kitten. YOU are armed with an uncanny ability to steer three stranded river kittens from afar. Will they be purring bundles of happiness, or scrawny damp fuzz-monsters? Its up to you in this "arcade kitten rescue mission simulator"

Blurball looked amazing from the screenshots. It seems like an awesome Pong clone, but I didn't get to play it very long. I was frustrated by the time it takes to get into a game and the one game I played wasn't as fast paced and frantic as I wanted it to be. This is a title that I will be playing some more, but might be best playing local co-op. 80 points.

Blazing Forge Games puts a hardcore spin on retro paddle ball games with BlurBall - a highly competitive multiplayer game with 7 levels, up to 16 balls, and 24 paddles on a single match! You can't handle the chaos! Play head to head with a friend or on a team with over 100+ unique paddles to choose from. Curious about the cheat code menu? Check out www.BlazingForgeGames.com.

Hmm...game that will get sales because of the name, Outbreak on Uranus, is another zombie game. Shoot the zombies, which uses pictures of actual people for the heads. This title really got on my nerves because of things like fake adverts popping up in the game and guns not hitting what I want. I don't know. Deleted.

Just when mankind thought they escaped the zombie threat...

Space Police on Super Highway 9 seemed like a decent racer where you control a police car and must crash into criminal vehicles. Didn't spend much time with it but what I did was simple fun. 80 points.

Baddies. The scum of our Super Highways. Drunk drivers, high on Super Space Juice. Criminals, fleeing the scenes of their dastardly space crimes. Old ladies, blind without their Space Specs. Deal with them, Rookie, and restore Space Justice to Super Highway 9.


XBLA:
None this weekend, but I was missing my Snoopy Flying Ace while I was attending the happy ceremonies. I also think my break from Super Meat Boy has come to an end.



iPhone:
Addicted to Zenonia right now, awesomely fun RPG that I picked up for a dollar. I would love for a title like this to make its way to XBLIG. Zenonia has made its way out of the game folders and onto my front page. It's been the only game I play lately.
I'll probably pick up Game Dev Story after I'm finished with Zenonia, it looks awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment