Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Indie-a-Day (004/365): Avatar Golf

The xIndies feature "Indie-a-Day" will highlight and recommend a single Xbox Indie Game every day during 2011. In general, I tend to stay away from avatar games. I'd much rather see unique characters than my digital self implanted in a game. I always thought that I'd dislike golf games, but a few years ago my brother got me hooked on some titles in the early DS days, most notably True Swing Golf. Avatar Golf's demo was enticingly good and made for a great purchase. Whether you are a casual golf game player, like myself, and enjoy titles like the Let's Golf! series on the iOS or the Hot Shots: Golf series or you like something a little more full featured with course editors, Avatar Golf is for you.


I have a difficult time recommending $5 titles on the Indie Games Channel. Not that $5 is really that expensive in the grand scheme of things, it's just that, most of the time, you can find a better experience in a lower price bracket. There are amazing $1 and $3 games that are more appealing to newcomers to the Xbox Indie Games. However, Avatar Golf is one of the titles I pop out the most for friends that come over and ask "What are some games I should download?" As you'll see in the video below, this is a polished game that is easy to play, fun in either single player or multiplayer modes, and has great extras that provide a great bargain for your gaming monies.


As of this writing, I've only played around with single player and multiplayer modes. I have not tried any of the online multiplayer, so I cannot attest to the quality of that experience. The big surprise that I checked out briefly is the course editor. For only 400 Microsoft Points, you not only get a fantastic casual golf game, but a robust course editor and the ability to share your creations online with friends. A brief search online pointed out a seemingly fantastic community for sharing map creations at forums.xbox.com.


I am always looking for a great experience in the Indie Games channel that I cannot find in other places, and though Avatar Golf is similar to other titles out there, it is a title that I fully recommend. It adds the ability to play as your avatar and sharing of golf course creations, which makes Avatar Golf a must buy title. Check out BarkersCrest.com for directions on how to download user made courses and tutorials on creating your own masterpiece. You can go here to purchase or demo the title. Below is a well-made trailer for Avatar Golf, enjoy!



Like the game? Have suggestions for other games to be featured? Leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment